Boguk the Computer Whizz
Complete Clauses 1-4 and any four others.
1. Do one of the following:
2. Use a computer to produce three of the following,
using at least two different software packages:
3. Understand the laws that concern copying of software, access to computer systems, reproduction of info to or from web sites and storage of personal information.
4. Keep a log for two weeks, noting how many times your daily life involves a computer. Find out how computer technology has changed household appliances (e.g. washing machines). What are the advantages and disadvantages?
5. Use a computer package to design a room or garden. What advantages does the computer have over manual methods? Are there any disadvantages?
6. Use a computer package to edit a video and add titles & music to it. Special effects etc should be added according to your capabilities.
7. Learn to use a Digital camera or Camcorder. Learn how to manipulate the images using the associated graphics tools. With images taken by yourself using the digital camera or camcorder, use a computer package to produce a brochure, poster, newsletter or similar
8. Play three different computer games. Visit an internet site that reviews games. Do you agree with their reviews? Research one aspect of concern about computer games (e.g. violence) and discuss it.
9. Help a novice user to learn to use a software package and achieve a result (e.g. produce a poster)
10. Learn how to set up and use a new peripheral device, such as a writeable CD-ROM, a scanner, a ZIP drive, a digital camera or a web-cam.
11. Create a resource pack suitable for Guiders to use with their units. This should be based on a topic of your choice and should include at least 10 activities with instructions, pictures etc.
12. Convert a paper-based collection to a computer-based one. E.g. scan a photo collection onto the computer, organize a recipe collection or create a database of your books
13. Complete a task by computer, and manually. (e.g. write a letter, design a poster or locate some information for research). Compare the accuracy, speed and ease of each method. What are the advantages and disadvantages of computers in this situation.
14. Find out about the current specifications of computers,
and investigate the current offers and packages at various shops/retailers.
Evaluate what type of package you would purchase for yourself and
what you would recommend to people in two of the following situations.
Include peripherals and software packages:
15. Show a working knowledge of a computer language and demonstrate its use by writing a program of your choice. Run this program using a suitable computer system and show the importance of ease of use and the provision of menus and on-screen help built in to the program.
16. Create a training or presentation on the computer, including speakers notes and delegate handouts.
17. Complete a computer-based project of your choice which extends your skills