Boguk the Communicator
Complete clauses 1 and 2, and 5 further clauses taken from at least two sections, which provide a personal challenge.
1. Have a working knowledge of three of the following
methods of communication. Know the appropriateness of each method
for different circumstances, such as complaints, requesting information
2. Make a telephone call to somebody you don't know.
Signal Communication :
4. Learn the Morse Code alphabet, and procedure signals.
5. Understand the Water Safety Flag System used on
6. Learn the nautical flag signals
7. Learn the signals used in a sport, hobby or interest of your choice
Aural or Verbal Communication
9. Tell a story to a child. You may wish to use different voices and/or sound effects.
10. Give a clear explanation or directions, for example, of how to do something or how to get somewhere.
11. Take part in a game such as 'Just a Minute', or a hat debate.
12. Give a prepared informal talk on a topic that interests you. The talk should show a clear structure, and you should be prepared to answer questions on it afterwards.
13. Take part in an activity or exercise that involves listening. Evaluate your own listening skills and try to improve them.
14. Chair a discussion or debate and describe the duties of a chairperson.
15. Take part in a group discussion, for example, to plan something, and then report the arguments and conclusions to someone.
16. Take part in a debate, or give a prepared formal talk on a subject on which there is more than one point of view.
17. Visit a special event amateur radio station, such as 'Thinking Day on the Air'. Record information about the conversations you hear. These could include the date, time, callsign, name of the radio amateur, town or country, and anything you find interesting.
18. Know the international phonetic alphabet. Be able to spell out your name, address and other basic information.
19. Give a presentation to a group of no less than 10 people, on a topic of your choice. Make use of OHP's, slide projector, Powerpoint or similar tools.
20. Write a letter of complaint, outlining the problem concisely and precisely.
21. Write an article or letter portraying an opinion.
22. Using only written directions (i.e. no diagrams etc) complete a craft project or similar.
23. Communicate with a pen-pal for at least 6 months.
25. Learn basic sign language.
26. Take part in an exercise about body language.
27. Try out three different forms of non-verbal communication and send a message using one of them.