BOGUK the Camp QM
Complete clauses 1-8 and two others which provide a personal challenge to you
1. Act as QM or assistant QM for a Camp.
2. Complete a Food Hygiene Course, or be aware of (and practice!) good hygiene practises including hand washing, coloured cloths, coloured chopping boards etc. Discuss with the girls the importance of not working in the kitchen if they have a stomach upset or similar.
3. Know how to dispose of kitchen waste hygienically, recycling where possible. Know how to dispose of washing up water (including use of grease traps etc ). Know how to dispose of grease (ie not down the drain!)
4. Create a balanced menu for two different types of weekend camp (e.g. activity, brownie etc) OR Create a balanced menu for a week-long camp
5. Adapt a camp or holiday menu for a girl with a food allergy, religious requirement or similar.
6. Prepare a shopping list, including quantities, for the chosen menu for your camp. Don't forget things like matches, tea towels, cleaning equipment etc.
7. Know how to lay out a store tent and how to store all types of food. Know how to keep food safe from al types of animal. Know what food can be reused (leftovers) and what must be discarded.
8. Lay a fire for cooking, clear up the fire place and correctly dispose of the ashes. Know how to prevent the pans getting too "black" when cooking on an open fire, and how to prevent the grass being scorched. AND/OR Know how to store gas or other fuel, the safety precautions required when changing gas cylinders or refuelling a stove. Know where the stove should be sited.
Do two of the following
11. Try cooking something you have not tried before, or in a new way e.g. Make and use a box oven or haybox, cook a steamed pudding, do a pot roast.
12. Run an activity involving cooking for the girls e.g. box oven
13. Help to create a booklet, website, or training session about one aspect of the Camp QM job.