BOGUK THE BOOKWORM
1. Practice good care of books (not folding corners down etc), make yourself a bookmark & use it!
2. Whilst working for this badge, read at least twelve books for pleasure. Keep a list of what you read, and make notes on them. The books you choose should not include more than three by any one author, and you should include books from at least 6 of the following categories:
3. Read a book that has been made into a TV series or film, and watch the film (in either order). Evaluate the accuracy of the film/TV series against the book, and discuss why producers often feel the need to change what the author originally wrote.
4. Organise (or at least start to!) your own collection of books at home. Evaluate the books you have, donate any that you no longer want to charity and try to make the remainder easy to find. You may like to arrange them by author, alphabetically by title, or by subject.
5. Research the possible sources of obtaining books in your locality, including standard bookshops (e.g. Waterstones), cheap bookshops (e.g. The Works), libraries (public & university if applicable) and charity shops or second hand book shops.
6. Join your local library if you are not already a member, and learn your way round. Know the opening times, what types of books are available to borrow, how long you can have them for and know now how to use the library catalogues. Use your library at least twice whilst working for the badge.
7. Visit the reference section of your local library to research a particular topic. You may need to use almanacs, gazettes, encyclopedias, etc. Compare and evaluate the information you find with the information you can obtain from CD-ROM encyclopaedias, and the Internet.
8. Know what services and resources are available at your library, such as Internet access, local history information, microfiches, time tables, classes or courses etc.
To download the information on this page, right-click HERE and "Save Target As.... "